CAN YOU SET OUT A FESTIVE TABLE?
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички усного мовлення з опорою на лексико-граматичні структури, навички аудіювання й читання; вдосконалювати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; виховувати культуру спілкування та поведінки за столом.
Do ex. 1, p. 71.
Practise the vocabulary
Make up short dialogues using the pictures.
– Have you sliced the tomatoes yet? – Yes, certainly.
– Not yet. It’ll be ready in a minute.
The following expressions may be useful: slice the bread; boil the water; peel the onions; peel the oranges; mash the potatoes; bake the pie; chop the carrots; mix the salad; fry the fish; pour the milk; prepare the breakfast; wash the peppers; cut the meat; clean the oven; grill the meat.
Do ex. 2, p. 72.
4. Vocabulary practice
Study the table “place settings” at the top of p. 73 and answer the questions.
1. What do you eat soup with?
2. What do you eat meat (fish) with?
3. What do you cut bread (meat, fish) with?
4. What do you eat bread with?
5. What do you put on the table for breakfast (dinner, supper)?
6. What do you drink water with?
7. What do you clean your hands and lips during a meal with?
5. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 3, p. 72.
6. Vocabulary practice
You may add more items.
Example: We use glasses for drinking water, cola, juice, milk, etc.
Our lips and hands
A frying pan
Complete table manners with “Don’t” where necessary.
1. …begin eating until everyone is served.
2. …talk with your mouth full.
3. …chew with your mouth closed.
4. …keep your napkin on your lap.
5. …rest your elbows on the table.
6. …ask politely for things to be passed if you cannot reach them.
7. …complain about the food.
8. …lick your fingers or your knife.
9. …pick your teeth or smack your lips.
10. …ask to be excused when you have finished eating and want to leave the table.
Cut out and shuffle the parts of the list of Do’s and Don’ts. Students in pairs have to sort out the cards to make the list up.
Sit facing the table…
…don’t sit sideways
After stirring your tea…
…remove the spoon and place it on the saucer
Don’t use the spoon for…
…what can be eaten with a fork
Don’t put your knife…
…into your mouth
Cut your meat into small pieces…
…one piece at a time
If your food is too hot…
…don’t blow on it
Try to make as little noise as possible…
Don’t sip your soup as though you wanted…
…the whole house to hear
…with your mouth full
Don’t put your elbows…
…on the table
Don’t forget to say “thank you”…
…for every favour and kindness
Tell the class about your daily meals and your favourite food:
– how many times a day you have meals;
– what you usually have for breakfast (dinner);
– if you have lunch at school;
– if you cook yourself at home;
Do ex. 4, p. 73.
CAN YOU SET OUT A FESTIVE TABLE? - Плани-конспекти уроків по англійській мові