UNIT 5. ON THE MOVE
COME IN TIME
Цілі: формувати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць і слів too, enough з іменниками і прикметниками; удосконалювати навички усного мовлення й читання; розвивати мовну здогадку й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
Let’s revise the Question tags.
1) It’s cold, ____?
2) You’re not ready, ____?
3) You speak Greek, ____?
4) She can’t swim, ____?
5) They’re late, ____?
6) The new car looks good, ____?
7) You can drive, ____?
8) Henry wasn’t here yesterday, ____?
9) She celebrates her
10) He doesn’t look at all like his brother, ____?
11) You won’t tell anybody, ____?
12) Your mother lived in China when she was younger, ____?
Listen to the story and do the task.
Many years ago Fast Airlines was a small, very new company. It had very little money and its airplanes were very old. Mr White flew by Fast Airlines once. That day he went to the airport, got on the Fast Airlines airplane and waited.
After a few minutes there was a lot of noise, and then the captain came out and shouted, “I’m not going to take this airplane up! One of the engines is broken, and they aren’t going to get a new one”.
The passengers got out, and then, an hour later, an air hostess said, “The airplane is ready again now”. The passengers walked past her to the aero plane again.
“Did you get a new engine? Mr White asked her.
“No, we got a new a new captain”, she answered.
True or False
1) Fast Airlines was a big rich company.
2) Its airplanes weren’t old.
3) One day Mr White decided to fly Wonder Airlines plane.
4) The captain didn’t want to take the plane up because he was a bad captain.
5) The captain didn’t want to take the plane up because the plane had a bad engine.
6) The passengers had to get out and wait for two hours.
7) After that the plane had a new engine.
8) After that the plane had a new captain.
3. Grammar practice
Explain the rule how to use too / enough, write example sentences on the board and practise them chorally and individually.
1) It’s too hot here.
2) It’s too cold today.
3) You are too lazy.
4) There are too many mistakes in your work.
5) There is too much information there.
6) Our classroom is warm enough.
7) I haven’t got enough time.
Write advice to your friend using the following words: buns, chocolate, sparkling water, cigarettes, exercise.
Example: cakes – You eat too many cakes. You shouldn’t eat so many cakes.
You want to organize a party. Write about the problems using enough and the following words: room, tables, orange juice, chairs, ice cream, glasses.
Example: We haven’t got enough room.
5. Reading and speaking
Read the dialogue in Ex. 1, p. 76 and answer the questions in Ex. 2, p. 76.
6. Speaking Work in pairs.
Read the dialogue and make your own dialogues using the example and the table.
A. When is the train to Liverpool, please?
B. 3.15, madam.
A. Which platform?
B. Platform seven.
A. How much is the ticket?
B. Single or return?
A. Return, please.
B. That will be 14 pounds.
A. Here you are.
B. Thank you, madam.
A. Thank you.
Fare (single, return)
1) Do you always come to school in time?
2) Have you usually got enough time to prepare for the lesson (to do your homework)?
3) Are you really too busy to have extra-school activities?
4) You haven’t got too much work to do at home, have you?
Make up and write down 10 sentences using too and enough to describe your last birthday party.