Цілі: вдосконалювати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; навички письма, усного мовлення й читання; розвивати мовну здогадку; виховувати відповідальне ставлення до школи, а також зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
Complete the sentences about your school subjects.
1. I really enjoy… .
2. I’m extremely interested in… .
3. I’m quite interested in… .
4. I’d like to know more about… .
5. I don’t know anything about… .
6. I’ve always wanted to learn something about… .
7. I’m not very interested in… .
8. I don’t much like… .
9. I don’t like… at all.
10. I’m bored with… .
11. I hate… .
12. I think… is a complete waste of time.
2. Vocabulary practice
Complete the sentences.
Gym, janitor, bus driver, subjects, headmaster’s office, water fountain, library, math class, playground, canteen, nurse’s office, lockers
1. Students drink out of the… .
2. We play basketball in the… .
3. We learn to multiply and divide in… .
4. Students put their books and coats in their… .
5. The… drives us home after school.
6. The… cleans the school.
7. When a student gets hurt he goes to the… .
8. There are many books in the school… .
9. When students do something wrong they have to go to the… .
10. Math and history are… we study in school.
11. Young students go outside to play in the…
12. Students eat in the… .
Key: 1 water fountain; 2 gym; 3 math class; 4 lockers; 5 bus driver; 6 janitor; 7 nurse’s office; 8 library; 9 headmaster’s office; 10 subjects; 11 playground; 12 canteen.
Fill in the gaps.
Music, teacher, water fountain, subjects, classroom, playground, canteen, lockers, corridor
Today is my first day of school. I am so excited. I am going to be in the 6th grade this year.
When I first get to school in the morning I will go into the (1) … where Mrs. Johnson is. Mrs. Johnson is going to be my (2) … . She will give us (3) … to put our coats and bags in. Mrs. Johnson will start the morning off by telling us about the different (4)… we will study this year. I hope we have a long (5)… class. Singing and playing the piano are my favorite things to do.
At 12:00 PM we will have lunch in the (6) … . To get there the entire class will walk in a straight line down the long (7) … outside of our classroom. After lunch we will go outside to play on the (8)… . When we come back in the school we will all get a drink at the (9)… .
School is going to be great this year. I can’t wait!
Key: 1 classroom; 2 teacher; 3 lockers; 4 subjects; 5 music; 6 canteen; 7 corridor; 8 playground; 9 water fountain.
4. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 1, p. 21.
Work in pairs
Discuss the lay out and complete it.
I study in… School. It consists of…. Our school has all the facilities of a modern school, such as…, …, a… with a huge collection of books, a… and a… .
Our school building is situated in…. There is… St. leading from the main entrance. The playground is…. When you enter the building, the headmaster’s room is… and the staff room is… it. There are… classrooms. Our laboratories are on… and the gym is on…. The canteen is… the lockers. There is a modern… where we have Computer Studies. We also have different… in different classrooms.
Our school has prescribed a uniform for us. The boys have to wear… . The girls have to wear… .
We have a lot of activities at and after school. I like my school very much and am proud to be a student of that school.
Work in pairs
Practice the questions and the answers.
1. How many students are there in your class?
2. How many classrooms are there in the school?
3. How many classrooms are there on the first floor..
4. How many floors does your school have?
5. Which grade are you in?
6. Where is your classroom?
Do ex. 2, p. 21.