Цілі: формувати навички вживання модальних дієслів must, have to, need в мовленні; вдосконалювати лексичні навички, навички вимови, навички читання й усного мовлення; розвивати логічне мислення; виховувати загальну культуру учнів.
Write the following notices on the board.
FASTEN SEAT BELTS
KEEP off the GRASS
WEAR SPORT SHOES
PLEASE KEEP SILENCE
Ask pupils where they might find each one.
– in a library
– in a park
– in a gym
– on an airplane
– on a road
– by a lake or a river
– in a street
2. Grammar practice
Explain the rule (p. 16) as for using must and have to. Make up sentences using the notices above.
You must stop.
You mustn’t smoke.
You must fasten seat belts.
You mustn’t fish here.
You must keep off the grass.
You mustn’t park here.
You must wear sport shoes in the gym.
You must keep silence here.
Say what you and your friends have to do during the day.
1. I / go shopping every day.
2. I /work hard at my English.
3. Ivan / help his classmates with maths.
4. Anna / dust her room every day.
5. Nina / take her younger brother home after school.
6. My friends/read a lot if they want to pass the exam successfully.
Do ex. 1, p. 16.
4. Grammar practice
Clarify the usage of must, mustn’t, have to and needn’t.
WE THINK it is necessary to do something
You must do your homework every day. I must stop smoking!
Something is forbidden
You mustn’t play here – it’s dangerous!
You mustn’t watch TV all day
OTHER PEOPLE THINK it is necessary to do something because of the circumstances
They have to go to the meeting today. They have to wear a uniform to school. It’s raining. You have to take your umbrella
DON’T HAVE TO
To say that something is NOT necessary
I don’t have to work today, it’s Saturday!
It is not necessary to do it, you don’t need to do it
I needn’t pay now. I can pay later
Fill in the gaps.
1. You… bring your tracksuits for your PE classes.
2. I… to prepare my report for tomorrow.
3. Those who finish their exam… start making noise.
4. The workbooks… be brought to the class unless I tell you to bring them.
5. Students… to pay for the transportation as the school has its own bus.
6. If a student breaks a school rule, he /she… to stay at school after lessons to meet with the headmaster.
7. Students… come to class late.
8. We… hurry, we are early.
9. This is a private school, so the students… to wear their uniforms at all times.
10. Students… stay at school during lunch break, they can go out.
Key: 1 must; 2 have; 3 mustn’t; 4 needn’t; 5 don’t have; 6 has; 7 mustn’t; 8 don’t have to; 9 have; 10 needn’t.
Do ex. 2, p. 17.
Do ex. 4, p. 17.
Name three things you mustn’t do in the class.
Do ex. 3, p. 17.