HIV AND AIDS
Цілі: формувати лексичні навички й навички вимови; вдосконалювати навички читання й усного мовлення; розвивати мовну здогадку й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати толерантне ставлення до інших і зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
Do the HIV and AIDS quiz
1) What is the difference between HIV and AIDS?
A) HIV is a virus and AIDS is a bacterial disease
B) There is no difference between HIV and AIDS
C) HIV is the virus that causes AIDS
2) Is there a cure for AIDS?
C) Only available on prescription
3) Approximately how many people are living with HIV worldwide?
A) 34 million
B) 23 million
C) 13 million
4) Can you get AIDS from sharing the cup of someone with HIV?
C) Only if you don’t wash the cup
5) Can insects transmit HIV?
C) Only mosquitoes
6) AIDS was first reported in the U. S. in… .
7) HIV is believed to have evolved from a similar virus found in which animal?
D) Guinea pig
8) Which country has the highest number of people living with HIV?
A) South Africa
Key: 1 c. HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. A person can live a relatively normal life for many years if they are diagnosed with HIV. 2 b. There is no cure for AIDS. 3 a. 34 million people were living with HIV at the end of 2010 and the vast majority of these people were in sub-Saharan Africa. 4 b. It is not possible to become infected with HIV from everyday casual contact such as sharing food, shaking
2. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 3, p. 202.
3. Vocabulary practice
Fill in the gaps with the words from WORD FILE (p. 202)
1) I had to drive nine hours without a break – it was… .
2) Critics argue that the tax cuts will only… large companies.
3) Here they began a small home for alcoholics and drug….
4) Video… from the ground will be displayed on laptop computers aboard the shuttle.
5) It’s harmful to drink alcohol during… .
6) Rising food prices caused great… for most of the population.
7) The court’s ruling should be of interest to every… of our country.
8) Our objective is to… $200 for the school band.
Key: 1 exhausting, 2 benefit, 3 addicts, 4 transmitted, 5 pregnancy, 6 hardship, 7 citizen, 8 raise.
4. Reading and writing
Read some information from the Net as for preventing HIV and write down some rules.
HOW CAN HIV BE PREVENTED?
Despite considerable investment and research, there is no HIV and AIDS vaccine. However, there are other ways that people can protect themselves from HIV infection.
HIV education needs to be culturally appropriate and can take place in various settings, for example lessons at school, media campaigns, or peer education.
PREVENTING SEXUAL TRANSMISSION OF HIV
‘Safer sex’ refers to things that a person can do to minimize their risk of HIV infection during sexual intercourse; most importantly, using condoms consistently and correctly.
A person can be certain that they are protected against HIV infection by choosing not to have sex at all, or by only doing things that do not involve any blood or sexual fluid from one person getting into another person’s body.
Effective sex education is important for providing young people with the knowledge and skills to protect themselves from sexual transmission of HIV.
PREVENTING TRANSMISSION OF HIV THROUGH BLOOD
Injecting drug users who share injecting equipment or works are at risk of HIV infection. Needle exchange programmes can help to prevent HIV transmission among drug users by providing clean needles and disposing of used ones.
PREVENTING MOTHER TO CHILD TRANSMISSION OF HIV
Mother-to-child transmission of HIV can be prevented by using antiretroviral drugs, which reduce the chances of a child becoming infected with HIV to less than 2 %. Once a child is born, safer infant feeding practices can also greatly reduce the risk of HIV being passed on from mother to child. This is why HIV testing in pregnancy is a crucial prevention measure.
5. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 5, 6, p. 203.
1) Are you taught about AIDS at school?
2) What’s your government doing to combat AIDS?
3) What’s the best protection against AIDS?
4) Is AIDS a taboo subject in our country?
Do ex. 4, p. 203.
HIV AND AIDS - Плани-конспекти уроків по англійській мові