UNIT 1. WE NEED INFORMATION
HOME READING. THE ANT AND THE GRASSHOPPER
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички читання, мовлення, уживання в мовленні граматичної структури Past simple і модальних дієслів; формувати лексичні навички; розвивати логічне мислення.
1) What is the story about?
2) What are the main characters?
3) Do you know a Ukrainian story which is similar to this one?
2. Speaking True or False
Say which of these statements are true and which are false.
1) The ant played a musical instrument.
2) The grasshopper was lazy.
3) The grasshopper liked music very much.
4) The grasshopper was busy with carrying food.
5) The ant worked hard.
6) The grasshopper
7) When winter came the ant was OK.
8) The ant was glad to see the grasshopper in his anthill.
Put the sentences into the correct order.
1) When the winter arrived the grasshopper stopped playing his violin.
2) The ant didn’t help the grasshopper.
3) She carried food to the anthill.
4) The ant didn’t like singing and dancing.
5) The ant was very different from the grasshopper.
6) The grasshopper came to the ant’s house.
Key: 5, 3, 4, 1, 6, 2.
Cut out and shuffle the parts of the sentences. Students in pairs have to sort out the cards to make up the sentences.
The grasshopper didn’t work and…
…played his violin all the
The ant worked hard from…
…morning till night
The grasshopper was cheerful and laughed…
…at the ant
The grasshopper sang and danced…
…in autumn too
The grasshopper came to the anthill…
…because he was very angry
The ant didn’t want to help the grasshopper…
…because he laughed at him in the summer
Answer the questions.
1) What musical instrument did grasshopper play?
2) Did he love summer?
3) What did he do in summer?
4) Did the ant live far from the grasshopper?
5) Why do we say that the ant was different from the grasshopper?
6) What did the ant do?
7) Why did the grasshopper laugh at the ant?
8) What advice did the ant give to the grasshopper?
9) Did the grasshopper follow the advice?
10) What happened when the winter came?
11) Why did the grasshopper come to the anthill?
12) What did he ask?
13) Why didn’t the ant help him?
14) What is the best moral of the story? Prove your opinion.
Retell the story from the part of
A) the ant;
B) the grasshopper.
Get ready with the next home reading (p. 157).