Цілі: вдосконалювати лексичні навички, навички вимови, навички читання й усного мовлення; розвивати логічне мислення; виховувати відповідальне ставлення до своїх обов’язків.
How to make a cup of tea
Complete the sentences with the proper words.
Key words: stir, enjoy, boil, add, leave, pour, put, warm, fill.
Example: Fill the kettle.
1. … the water.
2. … the teapot.
3. … the tea in the teapot.
4. … the pot with boiling water.
5. … the tea.
6. … the tea for five minutes.
7. … the tea into the cup.
8. … milk and sugar.
9. … your cup of tea.
2. Vocabulary practice
Choose the correct answer.
1. My mother asked me to do the (dishes/plates).
2. My father asked me to (make / do) my bed.
3. My brother asked me to (wet/water) the plants.
4. My grandmother asked me to (cleanse/clean) the litter box.
5. My mum asked me to do the (clothes / laundry).
6. My granny asked me to (clean / cut) the grass.
7. My mum asked me to (vacuum/vacate) the living room.
8. My mother asked me to (scrub / scrape) the toilet.
9. My parents asked me to (tidy /tighten) up my room.
10. My grandfather asked me to (take/make) out the trash.
3. Grammar practice
Write what you have to do using the previous exercise.
Example: I have to do the dishes.
Do ex. 1, p. 59.
Listen to some interviews and complete the chart. Then write down the sentences about these children’s duties and about your duties.
Stephan. I am responsible for many things at home. The worst of them is doing to the washing up. I also have to throw
Cindy. Every evening, I take the dog out for a walk. He gets restless when I forget to walk him. During the weekend, mom is on a break and we do the cleaning. I vacuum the floor and wipe the windows. Twice a week, I wake up at six to wash the car.
Nicolas. We have a housemaid at home who does the cleaning and dishwashing. My job is to set the table at meal-times, and throw out the garbage.
Beth. I have too many chores to handle! I must mow the lawn, vacuum the whole house’s floor every day, set the table and wash the dishes. Everyone else in my family is too lazy!
Take out the garbage
Mow the lawn
Do the washing up
Wash the car
Walk a dog
Vacuum the floor
Wipe the windows
Do the cleaning
Set the table
– Stephen does the washing up, mows the lawn and takes out the garbage.
– As for me, I do the washing up and take out the garbage too, but I don’t mow the lawn.
Do ex. 2, p. 59.
Express your opinion and make up sentences.
Making his bed.
Feed and walk the dog.
– Make your bed and tidy your room. – What a boring job!
– Phone for a pizza. There is some money on the kitchen table. – That’s great!
– Wash the dirty clothes. – Why me? I hate it.
– Do your homework now. – Oh, no! Why should I do it every day?
– Cook some spaghetti. The sauce is in the fridge. – Again cooking myself. How I don’t like it!
– Take the video back to the video club. – It’s not bad. I’ll have a walk.
7. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 3, p. 60.
– Have you made your bed? – Yes, of course. / No, unfortunately, not yet.
– phoned for a pizza
– cooked the spaghetti
– washed the dirty clothes
– taken the video back…
– done your homework
Answer the questions.
1. Have you ever done any repairing yourself?
2. Do you like doing something yourself?
3. What do you like to do most?
4. Do you like gardening?
5. How do you feel about your duties?
Do ex. 4, p. 60.