UNIT 6. IS THE EARTH IN DANGER?
HOW GREEN YOU ARE
Цілі: вдосконалювати лексичні навички й навички читання, а також виконання тестових завдань; розвивати логічне мислення; виховувати дбайливе ставлення до природи.
Do ex. 1, p. 101.
2. Reading and writing
Do ex. 2. p. 101.
3. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 4, p. 103.
Do ex. 5, p. 104.
5. Reading and speaking
Read the text and do the tasks.
THE COSTS OF PROGRESS
Human progress has reached the stage of intensive exploration of nuclear and solar energy, the World Ocean and outer space. It is evident now, however, that often man is adversely affecting the environment and his activity is sometimes fraught with fatal consequences.
It is becoming increasingly clear that man cannot and must not use his tremendous power so carelessly, interfere in nature and radically try to change it, without taking into account possible negative effects of his economic activity.
The more material we>
So, the urgent problem of today is to understand that we depend on the Earth, our mother, that the earth environment is a wonderful, beautiful and complex system which is easily damaged by man’s thoughtless attacks upon it. It is a challenge for all of us to save it.
> True or false:
1) Human progress has reached the stage of cosmic pollution.
2) The intensive exploration of nuclear and solar energy adversely affects the environment.
3) Man uses his power carelessly.
4) People can and must interfere in nature trying to change it.
5) The material standard of people’s living has grown.
6) People are overconcerned with making more technical devices which could
7) Two centuries ago people didn’t think much of the consequences of man’s interference in nature.
8) They don’t think of it in the current century.
9) In 60 per cent cancer is caused by various factors of polluted environment.
10) It is very complicated problem to restore the unity between man and nature.
> Answer the questions:
1) What stage has the human progress reached?
2) What are the results of man’s affecting the environment?
3) What is the connection between the material we>
4) Do scientists seek for the solution of the problem?
5) What does current ecological research show?
6) Did material production take into account the harmful consequences of progress two centuries ago?
7) Has this consideration changed in the 21st century?
8) What are the consequences of man’s intruding into nature?
9) What are the data concerning deaths from cancer?
10) Why should people decide this problem as soon as possible?
Do ex. 7, p. 104.
Do ex. 6, p. 104.
Ex. 8, p. 104.