Цілі: вдосконалювати лексичні навички й навички вимови; вдосконалювати навички аудіювання, читання й усного мовлення; розвивати логічне мислення; підвищувати загальну екологічну культуру.
Do ex. 4 (c), p. 150.
Do ex. 5, p. 150.
3. Grammar practice
Do ex. 1, p. 151.
Put the sentences into the passive voice.
1) The tourist is taking pictures.
2) Drivers have to respect the law.
3) People have sent millions of e-mails during the last two years.
Key: Pictures are being taken by the tourist. The law has to be respected. Millions of e-mails have been sent during the last two years.
Put the following words in the appropriate forms.
1) Nadia is (determine) … to pass the exam as she is preparing for it
2) The (develop) … of all the economic sectors depends on private investments.
Key: determined, development
4. Vocabulary practice
Fill in the blanks with the adequate phrasal verb from the box.
Take up think over put off look up make up
1) Because of the heavy rain, the football match was… for another day.
2) Can I have your dictionary, please? I’d like to… some words.
3) During adolescence, young people may… bad habits like smoking or drugs addiction.
4) This problem is very complex. I must… it… to find a solution.
Key: 1 put off, 2 look up, 3 take up, 4 think… over.
Do ex. 2, p. 151.
6. Reading and writing
Read the text, do the task and add your own ideas.
SEVEN WAYS TO PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT
We all want to protect our planet, but we’re mostly too busy or too lazy to put up big change that would improve our lifestyle
These are 7 simple habits to implement in your everyday life which will make a difference. There is nothing new here but if you follow at least some of these tips, you can be proud of yourself participating in the protection of the environment.
Use compact fluorescent light bulbs:
It is true that these bulbs are more expensive, but they last much longer and they can save energy and in the long term your electricity bill would be reduced.
You have tons of clothes or things you want to get rid of. If they are still usable, give them to someone who needs them. You may also choose to give them to associations. These associations may sell them and collect a little money. Not only will you protect the environment, but you will also contribute to a good cause.
Turn off your devices:
When you do not use a house device, turn it off. For example, if you don’t watch TV, turn it off. Turn off the light when you leave a room (even if you intend to return.) It’s an easy habit to take up which will help you save a lot of money.
Walk or cycle:
Driving is one of the biggest causes of pollution. If you want to use your car, ask yourself the following question: do I really need my car? Walk or use your bike if the journey is a short one.
Follow the recommended dose of detergent to wash your clothes or dishes.
Watch leaky faucets, which can cause a significant increase in the the water bill. An average of 120 litres of water can be wasted due to a dripping faucet.
Think of recovering rainwater. This water can be used for different purposes.
This list is far from being exhaustive but in addition to saving the environment, all these tips will help you save money.
1) Fluorescent light bulbs waste more energy
2) Donate means:
3) The 7 tips suggested
A) to save money
B) protect the environment,
C) to save money and protect the environment.
Key: 1 b (F), 2 a, 3 c.
Do ex. 3, p. 152.
1) Why don’t people do more to help the environment?
2) Why don’t politicians do more to help the environment?
You live close to a large factory and are concerned about the environmental problems it causes. You decided to write a letter to the managing director of the factory.
The following information should be mentioned:
– River pollution
– The factory produces a bad smell
– The noise pollution caused by the factory
– Recycling hasn’t started yet
– They missed the last local meeting on the environment
– Traffic to the factory is increasing