Цілі: вдосконалювати навички вживання tag-questions і нових лексичних одиниць; вдосконалювати навички аудіювання й усного мовлення; розвивати мовну здогадку й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати доброзичливе ставлення до співрозмовника й позитивне ставлення до здорового способу життя.
The first pupil name one kind of sport, the second pupil repeat it and add another word, the next pupil repeat two words and say one more. The winner is the pupil who will repeat the chain of all the words on the topic.
– baseball and athletics;
– baseball, athletics and running;
– baseball, athletics, running and jumping;
Answer the questions.
1. Can you say that sport is your hobby?
2. What type of sport are you fond of?
3. What team games can you name?
4. Is football popular in Ukraine?
5. What type of sports is popular with people of all ages?
6. Why do many people go in for sports?
3. Listening and writing
Do ex. 1, p. 100.
First name: Naima
Address: Green Farm, Arlington
Date of birth: 15.05.78
Sports: swimming, squash
Swimming, 5 years
Competitions/teams: school swimming team
Do you want coaching session? No; brother will teach
4. Vocabulary practice
Practise the words (p. 101) and complete the sentences.
1. This club isn’t
2. There are some… groups in our club.
3. He is good at the 100 m… .
4. That was really a… event.
5. The… begins at 10 a. m.
6. Persistent… are the key to success.
7. … is a game played by two people who use rackets to hit a small rubber ball against the walls of a square court.
Key: 1 membership; 2 junior; 3 freestyle; 4 fabulous; 5 competition; 6 training sessions; 7 squash.
5.Listening and writing
Do ex. 2, p. 101.
Do ex. 3, p. 101.
Practise the vocabulary
Fill in the gaps.
To take part in, reason, teenagers, as a result, patient, energy, participate
The main… to… this competition was to meet new people.
These exercises took a lot of… so I’m very tired now.
I think sport makes… strong and… .
… if you… in many sports competitions you always find new friends.
Key: reason, take part in, energy, teenagers, patient, as a result, participate.
Work in pairs
Discuss sport problems with your partner using the models.
1. What do you usually do after school?
– I usually…
2. o you go in for sports?
– Yes, I do.
3. What kind of sport is your favourite?
4. Are you good at…?
– Yes, I’m rather good at…
– Not very, but I’m training to become a good…
5. Do you like to watch hockey or football matches on TV? What are your favourite TV sports programmes?
– Yes, I do. My favourite programmes are…
6. You often play games with your friends outdoors, don’t you?
– Yes, almost every day.
7. What else do you like to do after school?
– I like…
1. Have you got many friends?
– Yes, I have a lot of friends.
2. Which of you friends is good at sports?
– … is.
3. What kind of sports does he/she go in for?
– He/She go in for…
4. Is he/she on the school team for…?
– Yes, he/she is.
– No, he/she isn’t.
5. Does he/she often take part in competitions?
– Yes, he/she does.
– Not often.
6. He/she trains regularly, doesn’t he/she?
– Yes, he/she does.
7. Where does he/she go for training?
– He/She goes to the… for training
Work in groups
Ask your classmates about their favourite kinds of sports.
1. What is your favourite kind of sport?
2. Can you… well?
Write down some sentences about your favourite sport and about sports your classmates like to do.