Unit 6 Holidays and Traditions
Lessons 84-86 Learn to talk about American spring holidays
To search for… especially egg hunt to give a concert to go picnicking a three-legged race
What a surprise! Luckily…
1. Look and say what American children can do on their spring holidays.
Easter, to search for eggs, egg hunt
Mother’s Day, to give a concert
To go picnicking with flowers
To remember mothers
Example: Children can search for Easter eggs.
2. Listen and repeat.
We’ll take a cat And put him in a hat And never let him go, oh!
/әv/ – ho, go, oh
/æ/ – cat, hat, and
3. Look, match and say what holiday traditions these children like.
Egg hunt, holiday concert, three-legged race, picnicking, holiday flowers
Example: The children like egg hunt on Easter.
4. Listen and role-play.
WHAT A SURPRISE!
Oksana: Look here, John, do you celebrate Easter in the USA?
John: Of course, we do. And we also have an Easter egg tradition as you have in Ukraine or Paul has in England.
Oksana: Agreed. The Easter egg tradition is popular in many countries. Paul told us about a very interesting egg rolling tradition in England. And what Easter tradition have you got in the USA?
Oksana: It really is. Are there any other spring holidays in your country?
John: Yes, there are. It’s Mother’s Day – the most popular holiday we celebrate in May.
Oksana: What a surprise! We celebrate Mother’s Day in March and May. On these days we present our mothers with flowers and presents. As a rule, we give them holiday concerts.
John: Same with us. But if the weather is fine, we also like to go picnicking with mum and dad.
Oksana: Luckily, it’s so warm outside today. What about going on a picnic?
– And what Easter tradition have you got?
– We have got Easter egg hunts.
5. Talk with a friend about American spring holidays.
On your own: Take a Mother’s Day holiday card and write 3-5 sentences about the holiday.
6. Look and guess what holiday is good for picnicking.
Example: I think… is good for picnicking.
7. Read and say what holiday is very important and why.
LET’S HAVE A PICNIC
Spring has come to the USA. Many interesting holidays have come with it.
Many children enjoy Easter. They can eat many tasty things and they don’t go to school. Who doesn’t like cosy Easter holidays? It’s time for friends, games and hobbies.
Then comes Mother’s Day. It’s a popular holiday in the USA. On this day children try to be especially good. They present their mums with flowers and hand made gifts. But what they adore most of all is a family picnic. It’s the first time they go picnicking in spring. Sometimes many relatives and friends go picnicking together.
The children surprise their parents with races. A threelegged race is a favourite race with many of them. It’s a funny race and there are winners or losers. Have you ever had such a race? Then try, I’m sure you’ll like it.
8. Answer the questions.
1. Why do American children like Easter?
2. What do American children do on Mother’s Day?
3. They enjoy picnicking in spring, don’t they?
4. When can they have a three-legged race?
5. There are no losers on a three-legged race, are there?
9. Talk with friends about American spring holidays. Use:
In spring Americans celebrate……………… is an interesting
Easter tradition. Children adore… . When Mother’s day comes… . Most of all children like… . As a rule, … .
10. Write about one of American spring holiday for your class display.
Do it yourself! Make a greeting card for any American holiday.