Unit 1 FAMILY. WORKING DAY
1. Listen, read and remember the words and word combinations.
As a matter of fact
Get used to
Without any effort
Без жодного зусилля
2. Read the text. Find and read the sentences where the word combinations from exercise 1 are used.
MY WORKING DAY
I want to describe you my daily actions which I did. more or less regularly, on weekdays
On weekdays my working day began early in the morning. As a matter of fact, I am not an early-riser, that’s why I hate getting up early, but I got used to it. I usually got up at about 7 o’clock. Then I did my morning exercises and went to the bathroom to wash my face and hands with a soap and clean my teeth with a toothpaste. I didn’t take a shower in the morning. I generally did it late in the evening before going to bed. At a quarter past seven I was ready to have my breakfast As a rule. I had a quick light breakfast which consisted of a cup of coffee or tea. a boiled egg or an omelette and a cheese or sausage sandwich. After breakfast I put on my coat, took my bag and left for school.
As my school is not far from my house, it took me 10 minutes to get there. I never took a bus or a trolleybus on my way to school, I usually walked there.
Six or seven lessons a day was the ordinary timetable. I seldom had lunch in the canteen, because I
When I came home my mother always had dinner ready just in time. Then I changed my school uniform and had a rest While resting, I listened to the music or looked through the newspapers or magazines. Then I started doing my home assignments. It took me about five hours to cope with my homework properly. I normally finished doing my homework at 10 o’clock in the evening. So I hadn’t much time for television and friends, because I had to work hard at all the subjects during my year at school. But sometimes I managed to see an interesting film.
I did well in most school subjects without any effort. Besides, I managed to help my mother about the house and do our shopping, go to the library and have private lessons in English in order to improve it.
And I must admit, that school life was a very interesting page of my life. I had good friends at school and some lessons were interesting.
After supper I usually relaxed for some time and then went on with my homework.
As a rule. I went to bed at about 11 o’clock or even later.
(За T. Гужвою)
3. Look at the pictures and write down the boy’s daily schedule.
4. In the text ” My Working Day” change the verb form from the Past Simple into the Present Simple.
5. Tell about your working day. Use exercise 2 as a model.
SELF-ASSESSMENT MODULE 1
1. Match each English word and word combination with its Ukrainian equivalent.
2. Correct, the mistakes in the sentences given below.
1. Six or seven lessons a day were the ordinary timetable.
2. I come home from school at two o’clock yesterday.
3. I didn’t had much time for television and friends
4. May I to read?
5. I cannot swam.
3. Write five sentences about your family.
1. Choose the odd word out.
1. share with, rely on, angry with, niece.
2. support, daughter, deal with, argue
3. hurt, lose temper, consist, wife
4. husband, supper, dinner, breakfast
2. Choose and write down the correct item.
1. … you ride a bike?
A) Can b) May c) Must
2. … you brush your teeth every day?
A) Can b) May c) Must
3. I… take a shower yesterday
A) don t b) didn’t c) doesn’t
4. I… doing my home assignments at 8 p. m yesterday
A) start b) starts c) started
3. Write 5 questions to ask your classmate about his/ her working day or relatives.
1. Give English equivalents to the Ukrainian words and word combinations.
7. хороше відчуття
8. втрачати самовладання
10. завдавати болю
Гніватися на когось
11. чистити зуби
Справлятися з чимось
12. приймати душ
2. Fill in: can, may, mustn’t, can’t.
Sam: (1)… I go to the cinema tonight?
Dad: You (2)… go out during this week.
Sam: Dad you are too strict
Mum: You (3)… speak about your father like that.
Sam: Ok. (4)… I have some friends over, then?
Dad: I’m afraid you (5)… .
Sam: (6)… I at least watch TV for a while?
Dad: Yes, you (7) …, but only after you’ve done your homework.
3. Describe your parent’s working day.
4. Translate the English sentences into German French.
1. On weekdays my working day begins early in the morning.
2. I wash my face and clean my teeth.
3. I have a boiled egg and sausage sandwich for breakfast.
Study and make a documentary report.
Length of people’s life
In any country you choose
2. Write a summary: What people should do to live a long and happy life.
3. Present your results in class.