Unit 4 WEATHER. NATURE
1. Divide the words into four groups: summer, autumn, winter, spring.
Gloomy, hot, stormy, snowy, sunshine, lightning, cloudless sky, bright, dark sky, sunny, cloudy, blue sky, foggy, rainy, overcast, thunderstorm, flash flooding, torrential rain / pour cats and dogs, to overwhelm, frosty, nasty, hurricane, thunder, thaw, gusty winds, severe weather, violent storm, hail, boiling hot; warm, cool, chilly, cold, freezing cold.
2. Use the adjectives below and the words from exercise 1 and describe each season.
Beautiful, amazing, splendid, exciting, fantastic, awful, tiring, magnificent, dangerous, picturesque, relaxing, peaceful, entertaining, dirty, stressful
3. Read the sentences. Pay attention to the italicized
1. We have just had breakfast.
2. My father has worked for this company since 2009.
3. She has never been to Paris.
4. They have already bought tickets for the plane.
5. He hasn’t known that yet.
4. Make up and write down your own sentences with each italicized word in exercise 3.
5. Complete the sentences with the words from the box.
Since, for, yet, already
1. Mike: Haven’t you cleaned your room…?
Chris:You’ve… asked me that three times today.
2. They have been married… 15 years.
3. I haven’t seen them… June.
6. Glance at the webcamera. Prepare a brief report about the weather at the moment in some European countries.
SELF-ASSESSMENT MODULE 4
1. Match each English word and word combination with its Ukrainian equivalent.
2. Correct the mistakes in the sentences given below.
1. Gusty wind have blown.
2. Torrential rain hasn’t overwhelm city streets.
3. The storm haven’t affected the town.
4. Flash flooding has trap cars.
3. Write five sentences about today’s weather.
1. Complete the sentences with the words which start from the given letters.
1. The flooding was the result of slow-moving _th _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .
2. Severe thunderstorms caused flash f_ _ _ _ _ _ .
3. Some people were і_ _ _ _ _ _ _.
4. The trip was e _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .
5. The girl feels e _ _ _ _ _ _ .
6. I like s _ _ _ _ _ _ _ , s _ _ _ _ _ and s _ _ _ _ _ _ _in winter.
2. Write questions to the sentences. Start them with the words in brackets.
1. Strong winds have damaged hundreds of roofs. (What… ?)
2. I have made a phone call. (Who… ?)
3. He has already swum and sunbathed. (… + tag?)
4. The tiny green leaves have already appeared. (… + tag?)
3. Imagine that you are on a trip to Paris. Write 7-10 sentences de scribing the weather there.
1. Write down as many words and word combinations as you can un der each heading.
2. Write special question to each sentence.
1. He enjoys travelling in summer.
2. There have been a few rainfalls this autumn.
3. Some homes are collapsed.
4. We were tired after a long trip.
5. The sun has just appeared.
3. Compare and contrast the usual weather in spring in France/Germany and Ukraine.
4. Translate the English sentences into German/French.
1. The weather is gloomy today.
2. It usually thaws in March.
3. It often pours cats and dogs in autumn.
4. We have many bright and sunny days in summer.
5. When the weather is warm and sunny, we often play outdoor games.
Do a library research.
Study the geography, climate, weather and sights of the country you are most interested in visiting. Present the materials in class. Use maps, photos and pictures to illustrate the results of your research.