OUR FRIENDS ALL OVER THE WORLD
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички усного мовлення; формувати навички вимови; удосконалювати навички діалогічного висловлювання з опорою на лексико-граматичну структуру; розвивати мовну здогадку; виховувати увагу, інтерес до англійської мови.
Write the words which associate with the following countries: Great Britain, the USA Ukraine.
Example: Great Britain – fog, kilt, whisky, Oxford, islands…
Listen to the text and do the tasks.
How the Welsh speak
Everybody from the UK is British, but be careful: only people from England are English. People from Wales think of themselves
People in Wales speak English but they have their own language – Welsh. Though some Welsh people learn Welsh before they learn English and some of these people never learn much English nowadays only more than 20 per cent of the population speak Welsh as a first language. Some Welsh families speak Welsh to each other at home, but they read English newspapers and English books, that is why when they speak Welsh they sometimes put in English words.
Welsh people are very proud of their national language, and they are proud of Wales too.
True or False
1) All people in Great Britain are English.
2) People in Wales speak only Welsh.
3) People in Wales use two languages: English and Wales.
Answer the questions
2) Do many people speak Welsh as a first language?
3) Why do people sometimes mix English and Welsh words?
4) Are the Welsh proud of their country?
Practice it in short dialogues.
Imagine a country and say where you are from.
– Where are you from?
– I’m from Poland. Are you from Poland too?
– Yes, I am. / No, I’m not.
Do Ex. 1, p. 6.
Practise the pronunciation of the names of the countries and nationalities from Ex. 2, p. 6.
Do Ex. 2, p. 6.
Write the nationalities in four groups according to their endings.
5. Speaking and writing
Make up short dialogues.
– Where are you from?
– I’m from German.
– What nationality are you?
– I’m German.
Do Ex. 3, p. 6.
6. Reading and writing
Do Ex. 4, p. 6.
Read about Pablo and then write about yourself.
– My name’s Pablo. I’m Spanish and I’m from Spain. Languages are my hobby. I speak Spanish, French, English, Hungarian and German. And I also speak a little Ukrainian! My English is quite good but my German is very goor.
My name’s ___. I’m ___and___ from___ I speak ___and__.
Do Ex. 5, p. 7.
Bring some photos of different people to the class and ask pupils to guess their nationalities.
– I think the girl / woman / boy / man in the picture is (Chinese).
– No, I think he / she’s (Japanese).
– And I think the couple/people in that picture are ___.
– No, I think they are ___.
Write a short paragraph about importance of studying foreign languages.