Цілі: вдосконалювати навички вживання the Participle і навички вимови; вдосконалювати навички аудіювання, читання й письма; розвивати культуру спілкування й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
Do ex. 4, р. 172.
Do ex. 10, p. 172.
3. Grammar practice
Do ex. 1, p. 173.
Fill in the gaps.
1) He saw his friend… (go) out with Sue.
2) The bus crashed into the blue car… (drive) down the hill.
3) Peter hurt his leg… (do) karate.
4) The umbrella… (find) at the bus stop belongs to John Smith.
5) The people… (dance) in the street are all very friendly.
6) I heard my mother… (talk) on the phone.
8) We stood… (wait) for the taxi.
9) … (look) down from the tower we saw many people walking in the streets.
10) The people drove off in a… (steal) car.
Key: 1 going, 2 driving, 3 doing, 4 found, 5 dancing, 6 talking, 7 washed, 8 waiting, 9 Looking, 10 stolen.
4. Reading and writing
Do ex. 2, p. 174.
Do ex. 3, p. 174.
6. Grammar practice
Match the participles you underlined with their uses.
1) She has a talking parrot
2) What time are you meeting your parents?
3) Anyone wanting more potatoes, just shout.
4) We haven’t used up all the potatoes, have we?
5) All those selected for a second interview, please follow me.
6) Since moving to the country, we feel much he>
7) Did you hear someone shouting just then.
8) He walked into the cafe, wearing a red carnation and holding news-paper.
9) I found an old lottery ticket while
10) Aren’t you tired after your, long walk?
11) Tired out after his long walk, he went straight to bed.
12) He could feel something crawling up his leg
A) As adjectives
B) In verb tense forms
C) After certain prepositions and conjunctions
D) After verbs of the senses
E) In reduced relative clauses (try adding who or which and perhaps changing the verb form)
F) In an adverbial participle cause
Do ex. 4, p. 174.
Listen to Ethel Smith who is talking about different types of art and name the contemporary types of art which are mentioned in the article.
There are so many forms and types of art. Music, poetry, garden, photography, architecture and dance are all forms of art, but I shall assume that for the purpose of this article that we are referring to art such as paintings and sculptures.
These differ so much depending on the artist, period of time, material and style. Among the different styles of art are modern, traditional, preraphalite and neo-classical. Then there are naive paintings, ones using cubist or impressionist styles and many, many more.
Paintings may be on walls, canvas, paper or just about anything. Think back to those pictures, which you will have seen at school, that caveman painted on the walls of their caves. The medium used may be crayon, oils, pastels watercolours, inks, enamels or again anything really. Sculpture employs a variety of styles, materials and sizes. The vast ‘Angel of the North’ in the North of England is a fine example of the diversity of sculpture these days.
Myself, I still enjoy pencil sketching when time allows and find it relaxing. Art can be used well for relaxation, as well as decoration or for a pecuniary use.
The beauty of art is in the eye of the beholder. There are no rules, and no rights or wrongs. If you look at something and deep down know that you honestly appreciate and like it, it is good art.
Advertising and installation art seems to be one of the biggest markets today. Installations can be seen at galleries and are usually large pieces of work, often a little strange and often involving the viewer participating. Advertisers are using more and more of their creative talents to sell products. Some of their adverts become famous and this has always been so. Harry Hudson Rodmell was a famous artist who created many wonderful poster adverts, usually I think for various forms of transport.
The newest and final type of art I shall mention is computer art. Computer graphics are taking the world by storm. They are in the film business, advertising and coming to more traditional art works now. I guess this will be the art form of the 21st Century.
Do ex. 5, 6, p. 175.
1) Do you think music and dancing are forms of art?
2) Do you think of cartoons and comics as art?
3) Do you consider photography an art form?
4) Do you think graffiti is art?
5) Are movies a form of art?
Do ex. 7, p. 175.