Цілі: формувати навички вживання too/enough; вдосконалювати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; навички аудіювання, усного мовлення й читання; розвивати мовну здогадку; виховувати правильне ставлення до користування сучасними технологіями.
Answer the questions.
1. What is social networking?
2. Can you give any examples of social networking?
3. What are the most popular ones today?
4. What is your favourite social network?
5. Do you like to chat online?
6. How many of you use Facebook, VKontakte?
7. Do you ever get on the internet using your mobile phone?
Scan the information from a webpage and say if the following statements true or false.
1. Blogs, forums, and wikis are only some types of social media.
2. Social media lets people share information anywhere in the world.
3. Information overload is a problem only for people who dislike social media.
4. According to the article, social media is an important part of people’s lives.
Social media refers to blogs, forums, networks, wikis, and many other online sites and services. The main idea behind social media is that people around the world can easily and instantly share information and ideas through social interaction.
However, some people dislike social media. These opponents believe that the blogs and wikis, emails and text messages, etc. create information overload. In other words, there is too much information to read and understand. There is a constant fight for people’s attention.
In the world of today, social media has become an important part of society, mostly because of cheap Internet, mobile phones that let users surf the Internet
Do ex. 1, p. 29.
4. Grammar practice
Study the rule (p. 29). Here are some examples for practice and translation.
1. There aren’t enough policemen in our town.
2. Do you have enough information to help me with this problem?
3. I do not have too much time to prepare dinner.
4. My mum can’t sleep because she drinks too much coffee.
5. There is too much s>
6. There are too many students in this classroom.
7. I cannot come out this evening. I’ve got too much work to do.
8. I’m not sure we’ve got enough paper to print it.
Do ex. 2, p. 29.
Do ex. 3, 4, p. 29.
Take the survey and talk about it.
1. Do you have a Facebook account?
2. How many friends or connections do you have in your social network?
3. How often do you check your social networking account(s)?
– Every 5 minutes
– Every 30 minutes
– Almost never
4. What do you do MOST OFTEN in your social networks?
– Chat with friends
– Send messages and files
– Play games
– Find connections
– Post pictures
5. What things do you NOT like about social media?
– Privacy issues
– Can’t delete my old posts easily
– Irrelevant advertising
– Spam email
– Spam posts
– Internet scams or phishing
– Invites from people I don’t know
6. Who do you accept friend requests from?
– People I know personally
– Anybody who wants to connect
– Friends of friends
7. What percentage of all your Facebook or Vkontakte friends do you actually meet ” in person” at least once a year?
8. Should school teachers create Facebook or Vkontakte pages to connect with their students?
9. Do you think social networking will be around in 5 years? Why or why not?
10. What other social media sites do you use besides Facebook?
Do ex. 5, p. 30.