Unit 2. Learning english after school
In these newspaper articles written about the mysterious loss of astronauts and how they met alien ship.
It seems to me “The mystery of the lost in space” suitable most.
1 – f. The policeman helped the man
2 – c. The car hit the tree.
3 – a. Annie loves all cats.
4 – g. The President will be photo-graphed by the tourists.
5 – h. The President will photograph the tourists.
6 – b. Annie is loved by all cats.
7 – e. The policeman was helped by the man.
8 – d. The car was hit by the tree.
1 – c. Twenty-three languages are used by 50 min or more speakers each.
2 – a. About 6,000 languages are spoken in the world today.
3 – b. More than 200 languages are used by a million
A) 1. Sounds were made by pre-human creatures.
2. Communication was made more complex.
3. First words were written millions of years ago.
4. Some changes have been explained by scientists.
5. Words were added to a vocabulary.
6. Words were brought from one language to another.
7. A standard from of language is used on radio and television.
8. A language is called dead when nobody speaks it.
1) My country is Ukraine. Its nearest neighbors are: Moldova, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Belarus and Russia.
2) In these countries, Moldavians, Romanians, Hungarians, Slovaks, Poles, Byelorussians and Russians live.
3) The United of America – American;
The United Kingdom – British;
Australia – Australian;
China – Chinese;
Egypt – Egyptian;
Poland – Polish;
Canada – Canadian;
Austria – Austrian;
Brazil – Brazilian;
Italy – Italian;
Ukraine – Ukrainian;
Germany – German;
Switzerland – Swiss;
Greece – Greek.
4) Chinese – China;
Arabic – Egypt, the countries of the North Africa and Near East;
French – France;
English – The United States of America, Great Britain; Spanish — Spain;
Italian – Italy;
Ukrainian – Ukraine;
Russian – Russia;
German – Germany;
Polish – Poland;
Greek – Greece.
1) Yes, it is. The word order of it is correct.
2) There are three in it. As there are three words with the articles and in these nouns used plural and singular.
3) There is one adjective. It is “plomic”.
4) There is one verb. It is “priked”. It is used in the Past Simple, because of the ending “ed”.
5) There is one adverb in the sentence. It is “ciptically”.
A – worker;
B – player;
C – thinker;
D – feeler.
True statements are: 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8.
B) 1-e;2-b; 3 – a; 4-g;5-k;6-d;7-n;8-j; 9 – f; 10 – h; 11 – 1; 12 – c; 13 – i; 14 – m.
G. to get a better job;
D. to be able to talk to English-speaking people;
A. to go to an English-speaking country;
B. to become an English teacher;
I. to read books, newspapers and magazines in the original;
H. to use the Internet;
C. to work as a translator;
F. to understand what English-speaking actors say in films;
J. to watch satellite programmes;
E. to understand the words of pop songs.
A) 1 – b; 2 – a; 3 – c; 4 – d.
B) 1. Reading for fun: books, newspapers, magazines, letters, billboards.
Survival reading: street signs, maps, recipes, labels, traffic directions.
Reading for learning: books, magazines, letters, the printing on television advertisements, charts, graphs, tables, manuals on how to operate computers or other technical device.
Workplace reading: books, forms, charts, graphs, tables, manuals on how to operate computers or other technical device.
A. – Great Invention.
B. – Dangerous Habit.
C. – Problem Makers.
A. – 2. Computers: from the past to the present.
B. – 5. People are “helping hands”.
C. – 6. What can we expect in the future?
1. The first alphabet had symbols for syllables. – False.
2. The first alphabet was invented by the Greeks. – True.
3. The first books were not made of paper. – True.
4. Tablets couldn’t keep a lot of information. – False.
5. People put the tablets in order using numbers. – True.
6. The first pages were first made by Julius Caesar.-True.
7. Books with wooden pages were used till 1380.-False.
8. Books with pages were called codexes. – True.
9. The first codexes are kept in the British Museum.-True.
10. The first newspaper was printed by Julius Caesar in 59 BC. – True.
Writing, book, printing, telegraph, newspaper, fax machine, television, the Internet, computer, telephone, mobile phone, radio, CD player, DVD player, cassette recorder, videocassette recorder.
A. 1 – c; 2 – d; 3 – k; 4 – i; 5 – g; 6 – b; 7 – e; 8 – f; 9 – h; 10 – i; 11 – j.
B. 1 – b; 2 – c; 3 – d; 4 – a; 5 – g; 6 – f; 7 – e; 8 – h.
A) 1 – e; 2 – d; 3 – b; 4 – c; 5 – a.
B) 1 – A; 2 – B; 3 – E; 4 – D; 5 – C.
1) Volkswagen cars are made in Germany.
2) A lot of rice is eaten in India
3) Coca-Cola is product in the USA.
4) Frogs are eaten in France.
5) Tea is produced in China.
6) Coffee is grown in Brazil.
1) Oliver Twist was written by Charles Dickens.
2) The Mona Lisa was painted by Leonardo da Vinci.
3) The Eiffel Tower was built by Gustave Eiffel.
4) Carmen was composed by George Bizet.
5) Alexandria was founded by Alexander the Great.
6) America was discovered by Christopher Columbus.
1) English is spoken in Canada.
2) I studied French for three years at school.
3) We spent too much money on holidays.
4) This window was broken by the little boy.
5) Her clothes are made in Paris.
6) This book was written by my aunt.
7) The new university will be opened next year.
8) He was driving fast and was stopped by the police.
Do you think Mars will be colonized by humans one day? The planet Mars is known as the “red planet”. The soil there is red and its surface is covered by volcanoes. Until recently it was believed that nothing could live on Mars, but during a space mission, tests were carried out and now it is thought that living on Mars might be possible one day. During the space mission, special equipment was used to examine the planet. No form of the life was found yet, and so far, the planet is considered unsuitable for inhabitation. However, we were told by the scientists that by 2020 humans will be sent to Mars and that one day special cities will be built so that we can live there. It is hoped that by 2150 Mars will be a wonderful place to live. Would you like to live there?
A: Did you visit many places when you were on holiday?
B: Well, on the first day we were taken on a tour of the historic monuments by our guide.
A: Oh, did you go everywhere with him?
B: No, we also went to some places by ourselves.
A: How did you manage to travel to the other places? B: We were advised to hire a car but chose to travel on public transport because it is much cheaper.
A: How did you know which buses and trains to catch? B: We asked at the tourist information center and we were given an excellent book which told us everything we needed to know.
A: So, you enjoyed it then?
B: Oh, yes. We had a really great time.