UNIT 5. ON THE MOVE
WHAT IS TRAVELLING?
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички усного мовлення й читання; формувати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; виховувати доброзичливе ставлення до співрозмовника; розвивати культуру спілкування й мовленнєву реакцію учнів.
1) Can you drive a car?
2) Have you traveled by car? Where to?
3) Where do you get the fuel for our car when on road?
4) What is the speed limit in the cities of Ukraine?
5) How is the traffic in a big city regulated?
6) What are the means of city transport?
7) Are you allowed to park a car in a busy street?
8) What do they call the underground in England and in the USA?
Write the following words on the board then ask pupils to listen to the text and match the people and their description.
A businessman an experienced traveler a professor of History a couch potato
A) He likes to travel alone or with his students. They travel from curiosity. They like to see the beauty of the world and learn traditions of other countries. They think that travelling is fascinating and enjoyable. It broadens their mind and allows to understand other people better.
B) He doesn’t like to travel at all. He believes that it’s better to stay at home, because travelling is dangerous, troublesome and expensive.
C) He likes to travel alone or with his friends. Usually he travels for pleasure or in search of adventures. When he travels he likes to
D) Usually he travels alone on business. When he travels he likes to meet new people. He thinks that travelling is useful but sometimes it’s a bit tiring.
3. Speaking and writing
Practise the new vocabulary.
Вокзал, залізнична станція
A railway station
Їхати в подорож
To go on a trip
Fill in the gaps with the new words.
1) When you’re in a hurry planes have ____ over trains.
2) A place where trains stop for passengers to get on and off is ____.
3) A place where planes begin and stop flying is _____.
4) The main _____ of this hotel is that it’s too dirty.
5) The _____ of the coastline was splendid.
6) Every year my parents _____ a big surprise party for my birthday.
7) Columbus _____ America.
8) We’re on _____ for the next two weeks.
9) Why don’t we _____ to the mountains?
Read the text in Ex. 1, p. 80, find the new words there and read them aloud.
Answer the questions in Ex. 2, p. 80.
Complete the sentences.
1) Travelling is _____.
2) People like travelling because they can _____.
3) If you wish to enjoy your trip _____ before.
4) If you are not sure where to go and you need help, go to ____.
5) You have some ways of travelling such as _____.
6) Each mean of transport has its ____ and _____.
7) If you want to show your friends where you were, _____.
5. Reading and speaking
Read the text in Ex. 3, p. 81 and in pairs make up your dialogues.
How did you get to the railway station?
I went there by bus.
How did you get to the airport?
I went there by train.
How did you get to the harbour?
I went there by taxi.
How did you get to your Granny?
I rode my bicycle.
Do Ex. 4, p. 81.
Do Ex. 5, p. 81.