Unit 7 Travelling
7.1 Learn to talk about travelling in different seasons
To sunbathe magic amazing sledge
– to get around
– places of interest
– to climb the mountains
– an experienced traveller
– an adventure holiday
– to take one’s breath away
I haven’t seen you for a long time!
Not in the least.
1. Look and say where and when children like to travel.
E x a m p l e: Children like to travel to the Black Sea in summer.
The Black Sea
The Carpathian Mountains
2. Listen and repeat. Say who you like to travel with.
– Robert Brown likes to travel a lot.
– Really? Does he travel with his relatives or his friends?
– Both. He is a very experienced traveller.
/r/ Robert, Brown, travel, really, relatives, friends, experienced.
/e/ relatives, friends, very.
3. Look, match and say what children like to do while travelling.
To sunbathe on the beach;
To see the places of interest;
To climb the mountains.
E x a m p l e: Children like to sunbathe on the beach while travelling in summer.
4. Think and say:
– which season you like to travel in and why;
– where you can travel in this season;
– what you like to do during your travelling.
E x a m p l
5. Listen and role-play.
Daryna: Oh, Andrew, where have you been? I haven’t seen you for a long time.
Andrew: Hi, Daryna. I was travelling all summer long. We returned home yesterday morning.
Daryna: I see. And where were you travelling, I wonder?
Andrew: Oh, my family and I were going around the Black Sea coast. I saw a lot of places of interest. I swam in the Black Sea and liked it a lot.
Daryna: Oh, my! Weren’t you scared?
Andrew: Not in the least! My dad is an experienced traveller, you know. He made a real adventure holiday for me.
Daryna: Great! You visited different places, I see. And how did you travel?
Andrew: We travelled by car and stopped at any place we liked. Odessa is a wonderful place to visit in summer – warm and sunny.
Daryna: I know, I know. I went to the summer camp “Moloda Hvardiia” last summer and enjoyed my stay there. Have you taken any pictures?
Andrew: A lot. Would you like to look at them?
Daryna: With pleasure.
Andrew: Come on, then.
– We Were travelling all summer long!
– We Were going around the Black Sea coast.
6. Let’s play a “Nosy Parker” grammar game. Use the box.
E x a m p l e: A: What were you doing all day long yesterday?
B: I was reading a book.
All day long;
At 5 o’clock yesterday;
When I saw you;
When I telephoned you;
All Sunday long; all the evening.
7. Look at the pictures and say what the children were doing all summer/winter holidays long.
E x a m p l e: I think some children were swimming in the river all summer long.
8. Talk with your friend about your summer travel.
On your Own. Choose a picture of your summer trip and write 7-8 sentences about it.
E x a m p l e: I had a very good summer trip. My family went to Odesa. We were swimming and sunbathing all day long…
9. Read and say when children of different countries like to travel.
EVERY SEASON IS GOOD FOR TRAVELLING
My name is Sarah. I’m a spring person and I like spring best.
I live in Australia and spring can be very different there. It is so good for travelling because you can be outdoors in any spring month. Early in September my family goes to the mountains to ski. Later in spring, in November, we go to the beach to sunbathe and swim and surf.
But most of all I like to travel to the tropical rainforests. In spring it is the Land of Oz: tall green trees, brightly coloured birds and butterflies near water. Rain turns this place into a carpet of flowers. I always take my camera with me and take so many pictures. You can see one of them.
Winter is the best time for travelling in Canada. Snow and frost make my country magic. No wonder, tourists come to Canada in this season.
My name is Jeremy. The place I live in is especially amazing. There is Jasper National Park and the Columbia Ice Field not far from my city. Two weeks ago my family and I went to Jasper National Park. We had a lot of fun skiing, skating and sledging.
Last weekend we had a snowmobile tour to Athabasca Glacier. Have you ever travelled by a snowmobile? It’s a very exciting tour! When we reached the top of the Glacier, I was thrilled. I’ve never seen such beauty before! A real winter fairy tale! Look at the photo and see for yourself.
I’m Aban. My home is Africa.
I live in Kenya and it is very hot there all the year round. So you may travel in any season.
Many travellers come to my country to sunbathe on the beach, lie on the white snow and swim in the warm blue water of the Indian Ocean. Some of them enjoy this kind of holiday and spend most of the time there.
But this is Africa and Africa means safaris. There are many national parks in Kenya, where you can see lions, elephants, giraffes and other animals. Travellers take a lot of pictures and make interesting films about their safari!
Last week my class went on safari to the Amboseli National Park. It was the most memorable trip for me! I could admire pink flamingoes. Our teacher said that they were very rare and we could see them only in that park. Besides, from the park we could see Mount Kilimanjaro – the highest mountain in Africa. Enough to take your breath away, isn’t it?
10. Read and choose the correct answer.
1. When does Sarah like to travel in Australia?
A) in autumn; b) in summer; c) in spring.
2. Where does she like to travel most of all?
A) to the beach; b) to the rainforest; c) to the mountains.
3. Where does Jeremy live?
A) in Australia; b) in Ukraine; c) in Canada.
4. What tour was the most memorable for him?
A) a snowmobile tour; b) a sightseeing tour; c) a mountain tour.
5. Why do people like to travel to Africa?
A) to climb the mountains; b) to see places of interest; c) to go on a safari.
6. What could Aban admire in one of the national parks in Kenya?
A) pink flamingoes; b) water birds; c) lions.
11. Act as one of the children and speak about travelling in your favourite season. Use:
To be the best time for travelling;
To have the most memorable time;
To have an amazing holiday;
To take one’s breath away;
To have a lot of fun.
12. Talk about travelling in your favourite season. Use:
Personally, I like… . I like travelling in… . … in this season. Besides, … . Once, my family and I… . It was… . … took my breath away. We enjoy… .
13. Write about your favourite season for travelling for your class magazine. Use:
I like travelling a lot. Most of all I like travelling in… . As you see, you can enjoy your trip.
Do it Yourself! Draw a picture or take a photo about travelling in your favourite season.