UNIT 4. ROUND THE CALENDAR
IT’S SO COLD TODAY
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички читання й усного мовлення, уживання Question tags; розвивати культуру спілкування; виховувати доброзичливе ставлення до співрозмовника.
Complete the sentences.
1) Today the weather is ____ .
2) When it rains you take ____.
3) In winter you wear ____.
4) In autumn you eat ____.
5) Yesterday the weather was _____.
6) If it’s hot you wear _____.
7) When it’s snowy you can _____.
8) In summer you don’t wear _____.
Listen to your classmates’ stories about their travelling (homework) and ask tag-questions to check you understand everything correctly.
Read the text and do the tasks.
Tom. My favourite season is autumn. It’s a beautiful season. The leaves in the trees are red, yellow, brown and green. It is warm in September. I can go for a walk. On the first of September I am glad to see my friends at school after the long summer holidays. In autumn there are a lot of vegetables and fruit. I like sweet plums.
Alice. I don’t like autumn. It’s a dull season. I don’t like when it rains. In October it is cold and it often rains, and we can’t go for a walk. I like summer. Summer is a bright season. The trees are green. It’s hot and I can swim in the river. I can play outdoors all day long. And I don’t go to school.
David. And my favourite season is winter. Winter is beautiful. The trees are white with snow. There is a lot of snow in the streets and in the parks. My friends and I can play snowballs and hockey. But most of all I like to ski.
Susan. I don’t like winter. It’s so cold in winter. It often snows. The sky is grey. The days are short and the nights are long. I like spring. The sun often shines, the sky is blue, birds sing songs. In May the trees and grass are bright green. There are many beautiful flowers in May.
Write the correct name.
1) ___ likes snow.
2) ___ doesn’t like rain.
3) ___ likes sunshine.
4) ___ likes swimming in hot days.
5) ___ likes meet friends after holidays.
6) ___ likes colourful leaves.
True or False
1) It snows in winter.
2) October is an autumn month.
3) It’s hot in winter.
4) We start school on the first of October.
5) You can eat pears in autumn.
6) The trees are bright green in May.
4. Reading and speaking
Read the dialogue in Ex. 2, p. 61 and in pairs make up your own dialogues about the climate in other countries.
Do Ex. 3, p. 61.
Make up as many questions as you can.
In pairs, do Ex. 4, 5, p. 61.
1) What kind of day is it today? – It’s ___.
2) What kind of day was it yesterday? – It was ____.
3) What kind of day do you think it’ll be tomorrow? – I think it’ll be ____.
Write a short paragraph about the weather in one of the seasons.