Цілі: формувати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць і навички вимови; вдосконалювати навички читання й усного мовлення з опорою на лексико-граматичні структури; розвивати мовну здогадку й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань і повагу до традицій інших народів.
Answer the guestion.
1. What is the capital of Great Britain?
2. Where is it situated?
3. What names is usually London associated with?
2. Vocabulary practice
Do ex. 1, p. 153.
Key: 1 f; 2 і; 3 a; 4 h; 5 g; 6 c; 7 e; 8 b; 9 d.
Listen to the text and do the task.
The saying “When a man is tired of London, he
If you want to discover London, it is best to start with a tour on a sightseeing bus. It’s also fun to go on a guided walk. These are advertised in Time Out, a weekly magazine that tells you what is happening in London. The walks last up to three hours and have special themes, such as “Ghosts and Haunted Taverns”, “Royal London – Places and People”, “The Beatles London – Rock Routes of the Sixties”.
Answer the questions.
1. Why can’t you be bored in London?
2. What is the best way to get acquainted with London?
3. How do you know about different events in London?
4. How long does it usually take tourists to go on a guided walk?
Do ex. 2, p. 154.
Match the two halves of the sentences to know more interesting things about London.
1. The city became extremely…
A) the height of her power
2. The Great Fire…
B) the Houses of Parliament
3. In the 19th century England was at…
C) the Royal Standard is flown
4. Almost all the monarchs have been crowned…
D) Trafalgar Square
5. The Seat of the British Parliament is…
E) the Prime Minister
6. When the Queen is in residence…
F) successful and rich in the 16th century
7. The Tower of London used to be…
G) destroyed the whole of the City
8. The Mall leads to…
H) in Westminster
9. Downing Street, 10 is the residence of…
I) the first Royal Observatory
Key: 1 f; 2 g; 3 a; 4 h; 5 b; 6 c; 7 i; 8 d; 9 e.
Are there many famous sights in your country (the capital of your country, your city)? What are they famous for?
– There are…
– They are…
– More than that…
…a part of…
…a symbol of…
…a collection of…
…a place for those who…
What are the most popular activities and hobbies in your country? Why? What’s your favourite activity? Why do you like it more than others?
– I like it because…
– Other… are…
I don’t like
Some people like
Going to the theatre
Going to the cinema
Going to parties
Listening to music
Participating in lotteries
Going to art galleries
It makes me
It makes them
A good way to…
To learn more about…
To be good at…
To think of…
Answer the guestion.
1. How often do you go to the theatre (cinema, museum, concerts)?
2. Do you find going there expensive (pleasant)?
3. Do you like watching TY?
4. What kind of programme do you usually watch?
5. What other entertainments are you fond of?
Do ex. 3, p. 154.