SPORT IS FUN
Цілі: формувати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; вдосконалювати навички читання й усного мовлення з опорою на лексико-граматичні структури; розвивати мовну здогадку й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
Answer the questions.
1. Are you fond of playing football?
2. Do you like swimming?
3. Can you play tennis well?
4. Have you ever taken part in sports competition?
5. What do you prefer: to watch sports competitions or to take part in them?
6. Does sport help you to keep fit?
7. How often do you go to the sports ground?
8. What sports are popular in your family?
9. Do you want to be a sportsman?
10. Are you good at running (swimming, skating…)?
Listen to the descriptions of the sports and name them.
1. This game is played by two teams. There are six players in each team. They play game on an ice field. (Hockey)
2. It is a team game. Two teams hit a large ball with their hands over a high net. The ball is not allowed to bounce on the ground. (Volleyball)
3. It is a game of two players. Each player starts with sixteen different playing pieces. They move the playing pieces on a board. The aim of the game is taking your opponent’s king. (Chess)
3. Vocabulary practice
Do ex. 1, p. 92.
Do ex. 2, p. 93.
Complete the chart below and add some own examples to each column.
Sports that are played with the ball
Listen and say what sport the teens talk about. Why do they do these sports?
– Some people think that it is a boring game, because it can last for 5 days. But I think that it is very interesting and intelligent. The players look wonderful in their white trousers and white shirts and jumpers. (Cricket)
– It is one of the oldest and the most popular
sports in the world, the Americans called it soccer. It is an exciting game for real men. There are 11 players in each team. They are big, fast and really strong. (Football)
– It is my favourite sport. It is an individual sport both for boys and girls. First it was popular only among the boys, but now more and more girls take part in it. It helps to become strong, confident and you are always ready to defend yourself and other people. I think that is very important. Some people say that it is a fight and it is not good for girls but I can’t agree with them. (Karate)
6. Vocabulary practice
Explain the rule how to use play, go and do, then practise them in speech.
– Play is used with ball sports or competitive games where we play against another person.
– Go is used with activities that end in – ing, for sports and hobbies that we go out to do.
– Do is used for a recreational activity or a non-team sport that does not use a ball.
Name the kinds of sports and ask pupils to make up word combinations, e. g. volleyball – play volleyball, jumping – go jumping.
Running, football, rugby, long jump, volleyball, gymnastics, high jump, basketball, swimming, karate, hockey, tennis, cycling, fencing, horse riding, athletics, soccer, baseball, boxing, badminton.
Do ex. 3, p. 93.
7. Writing and speaking
Work in pairs
Ask questions and complete the chart. Practise your dialogues.
– What kind of sports activity do you go in for?
– I go skiing.
– When do you usually go skiing?
– In winter.
– And where do you ski?
– On a mountain or in the park nearby.
What do you prefer? What activities don’t you like?
– I like…
– I don’t like…
– I am fond of…
– I can’t stand…
– I’m crazy about…
– I’m hopeless at…
– I’m good at…
Write a short paragraph about sports that you, members of your family and your friends like and go in for.
SPORT IS FUN - Плани-конспекти уроків по англійській мові