Цілі: формувати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; вдосконалювати навички читання, аудіювання й усного монологічного мовлення; розвивати пізнавальні інтереси учнів; виховувати правильне ставлення до мистецтва, а також загальну культуру учнів.
Fill in the gaps with the words from the box.
1) It’s… how hot it can get here in Summer.
2) I was really… to hear the news. It was so unexpected.
3) I’m so… . Let’s go out and do something.
4) Trying to contact a help desk is so… when they just put you on hold.
5) The kitten was totally… when it saw itself in the mirror.
6) These physical exercises can be very… .
7) That film was so… . It was like watching paint dry.
8) Are you… in natural history?
9) I find kittens totally… . I could watch them playing for hours.
10) I get really… when I can’t solve a problem.
11) Do you find natural history… ?
12) He was so… he could hardly keep his eyes open.
Do ex. 5, p. 178.
Listen to David and Carol talking about a modern art exhibition and then do the task.
A MATTER OF TASTE
David. Hello Carol. What did you do today?
David. No, I really can’t stand modern art. It just seems like children’s painting to me.
Carol. Yes, if you don’t understand what the artist is trying to communicate, it can seem a little like that.
David. Well, what did you see then? Tell me about some of your favorite pictures.
Carol. OK, I’ll try to remember. There was this one huge painting which was mainly black and gray. I think it was supposed to be a tree >
David. And what did you like about that one?
Carol. Just the way the tree looked. It was like the tree was made of hard, metal spikes and the mix of white and gray made everything look like it was winter. Very cold.
David. What else did you see?
Carol. There was this other huge painting which was mainly black and white. It looked very impressive. It was a sort of spiral and each part of the spiral was a white disc and they all met in the middle. It’s really hard to explain. But my absolute favorite was a painting we saw in the last room we visited.
David. Who did you go with?
Carоl. I went with Melanie and her sister. Anyway, there was this beautiful painting and it looked like a meadow and all the grass was purple and red and there was this green sky in the background. I looked at it and thought of summer. It also had this amazing jet black frame and the whole effect was very impressive. I spent about ten minutes just looking at that one.
David. Wow, that really does sound impressive. Maybe I should go and visit this exhibition.
Carоl. You really should. I think you would be inspired by some of the paintings. I think you should look at modern art like food. You need to taste things to see if you like them. At that exhibition today, some of them were even for sale. That last one, the meadow one, was on sale for $8,000.
David. How much?! That’s really expensive. I may go and visit the exhibition tomorrow, but I’m not going to buy anything.
Carol. OK, let me know how it goes, won’t you? Give Mark a call. He wanted to come with us today but his aunt was in town so he couldn’t. He’d be really keen on going.
David. OK, I will.
1) What is Carol’s reaction to David’s opinion that modern art looks like it has been done by children?
A) She can understand why he thinks that.
B) She disagrees totally.
C) She accuses him of not understanding modern art.
2) What did Carol like about the picture of the tree?
A) That is was so big.
B) It reminded her of winter.
C) The way the artist represented the tree.
3) What did Carol say about the second picture?
A) It was large.
B) It was her favourite painting.
C) It had a lot of strange colours.
4) Which of these statements is not true of the last painting that Carol describes?
A) She saw it near the end of the art gallery visit.
B) She also liked the frame on the picture.
C) It reminded her of her childhood.
D) She spent a long time looking at it.
5) What suggestion does Carol make to David at the end of their conversation?
A) To buy a painting if he sees something he likes.
B) To attend the exhibition with someone who couldn’t go with Carol today.
C) To go with their aunt, who is in town this week.
Key: 1 a, 2 c, 3 a, 4 c, 5 b.
4. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 7, p. 179.
Do you like to visit art museums? What Which did you like the best? Why?
Write a short story about a picture.
1) How old is it?
2) Where did you get it from?
3) When did you get it?
4) Why did you get it?
5) How did you get it?
6) How much did it cost?
7) How much is it worth now?
8) Why did you choose to talk about it?
9) What does it mean to you?